Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Turning off Ads on Kindle Fire?

I need a place to rant so here I go. And if you are thinking of getting a kindle fire or have one, you may be interested in this anyhow. Below I will show you how to remove ads from your Kindle but first, a rant.

I've always said I would 'never become one of those people who read e-books instead of the real, physical copies' - last Christmas I was given a kindle and being someone who reads a lot, I found how easy it was to access, use; so many books rightly available. I now love it and have a decent collection; but be sure I still maintain a physical collection, too :)

If you have a Kindle Fire and are like me, annoyed with ads coming up every time my Kindle is turned off or it goes into stand by, you probably want, like me, to make them go away. And you can...but there is a catch.

To get yourself ad free (for the most part...see below) you can do so by paying a fee of $15.00 in the US or £10.00 in the UK. Amazon apparently stated because the Kindles are sold at such a low price, they are doing this to maintain profit. I fail to see how they are losing profit without ads or without us paying to get rid of the ads, though. With Prime, Instant Video, and the amazing library option just to name a few things Amazon offers-for a price- I think the extras that come with the Kindle alone would 'make up' for anything lost.

But that's me- I love Amazon and I love my Kindle even if I'm going to maintain the ads and keep my 15 bucks.

I found a great website that goes into more detail about how to get this done if you want to pay, and other information. The link is below the copied info.

Two Types of Ads and Offers

First, I'm going to show you the two types of ads and offers you can remove. The "Special Offers" are the background ads you see when you first turn on your Kindle Fire (or come out of sleep mode). They are the large, full screen ads, or screensavers (shown below).

The other ads are the books, apps, music, videos, etc that appear below the carousel (only in portrait view) to display what "Customers Also Bought," as I've shown below on the right. Special Offers: Customers Also Bought: The center book in the above image, is of The Vanishing Game, which was written by my mom, Kate Kae Myers.

 It's a young adult novel published in both hardcover and eBook by the well-known publishing house, Bloomsbury Childrens. Just a little shout out for my mom's awesome suspense thriller! ;) Now on to the rest of this tutorial! Unsubscribe Kindle from Special Offers You can choose to unsubscribe from the special offer ads, but please be aware that it will cost you $15.00. According to Amazon, the special offers help offset their profit margin loss because they sell the Kindle Fire so cheap.


Thus, they require customers to pay the extra moolah to remove the ads. If you don't care about the special offers, then hey, saving $15 bucks on such a fabulous tablet is worth it! For UK Kindle Fire owners, you can "opt out" of the Special Offers for £10. (From what I've heard, this fee is currently being "waived", but who knows how long that will last.) Also, until Amazon updates this area, you won't see the option to "Edit" your Subscription (as explained below).

To unsubscribe from the special offers you will need to contact Amazon's Customer Service directly (go to Amazon.co.uk, "Help" at the top, and then the yellow button on the right that says "Contact Us"). Note: This process/cost is probably similar for other international Kindle Fire users. If you're ready to dish out the dough, then here's what you do: Go to Amazon.com and login with the account that is registered to the Kindle Fire. Hover over your name (or tap with your finger) where it says, "Your Account" at the top right:
 A drop down menu will appear. Click/tap on "Manage Your Kindle":
 On the page that opens go to the column on the left and under "Your Kindle Account" select "Manage Your Devices"

More info HERE